Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Ball Ball Stuffing Contest Participants are In



Otherwise known as the Dunk Contest.

Brandon Jennings, Serge Ibaka, Blake Griffin, and Javale McGee have all been officially announced as your Sprite Slam Dunk Contest 2011 participants. I might be going out on a limb here, but never has the Dunk contest been this BIG. And I don't mean the hype, I mean literally. Three out of four participants here play the Center/Forward position.

To give us a better view of this year's contest, let's look at the tale of the tape:


Serge Ibaka (C/F)
Oklahoma City Thunder
6'10" (though he's more 6'11")
Well he is called "Air Congo". Still, I can easily see him as one who would stink in the competition. He's not even a powerhouse in-game dunker. I don't think he has enough creativity for this one. I would've rather seen his teammate Russel Westbrook in the contest.



Blake Griffin (C/F)
Los Angeles Clippers
6'10"
Blake Frickin Griffin. What else can be said. Clearly the favorite to win it all, it's still a wait and see whether he can translate the awesome game stuffers into the Dunk Contest though. Let's just hope this won't be Shannon Brown II.







Brandon Jennings (G)
Milwaukee Bucks
6'1"
The only little guy in the competition. As explosive as Jennings can be, he hasn't even touched the hardcourt since early December. You have to wonder what kind of shape he'd be in, and what Milwaukee thinks about the NBA putting their top point guard in the competition before he even got healthy. Still, I think he's the dark horse to win the contest. 





Javale McGee (C/F)
Washington Wizards
7'0" (I think he's 7'1" now)
And of course, my favorite dunker in the contest (this is sarcasm, if ever you didn't notice). I think he can definitely throw it down, but the dunk contest? Well, if he pulls off the free throw dunk that he always seems to be attempting, then I'll think about it.





Pretty good, eh? Well, what's a Javale McGee highlight reel without the following videos:




Well there you have it. For me, the dunk contest really takes flight from athleticism. But with the NBA choosing to field in more of the tall dunkers, well, things could get interesting. COULD.

Whaddayathink ball ballers? Who'd you bet on?


No comments:

Post a Comment